Open Book Abridged Edition Kit
Sale Sold out Unit price per
Regular price $60.00 USD
PLEASE LIMIT ONE PER ORDER. I want to get these first few kits to as many folks as possible.
This kit contains everything you need to build your own Open Book Abridged Edition, EXCEPT for a Raspberry Pi Pico. Bring Your Own Pico!
In the kit:
- One component card with all the surface mount components you'll need.
- One heat-sealed bag with the through-hole buttons
- A 64 MB Flash card preloaded with the language data and a couple of public domain works.
- One surface-mount AAA battery holder
- One 4.2 inch e-paper display
- A printed circuit board for you to solder all the parts to.
Detailed assembly instructions are printed on the circuit board, and there is additional documentation on the Oddly Specific Objects web site.
MicroSD card notes:
- On first boot, your Open Book will need to copy the language data from the babel.bin file on the SD card to the on-board Flash chip.
- Make sure to plug your Open Book into a reliable power source or for this step; it will take about a minute, and it's very important that you don't interrupt this process.
- Once this step is complete, you can delete babel.bin from the MicroSD card.
The two public domain works on the MicroSD card are The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, and The Machine Stops by E. M. Forster.
- The Great Gatsby is pre-paginated and ready to read.
- The Machine Stops lacks a pagination file; a dialog box will pop up asking you to paginate the work. When you click yes, please be patient; the pagination process will take about a minute and the display will not update. I intentionally left this step to demonstrate the pagination process, which is something we need to work on.